Wednesday, November 24, 2010

seeds to seedlings.....hopefully

I had a ton of sunflowers in my garden this year - they are so beautiful! It's amazing how such a huge flower can grow from a tiny seed. I was just amazed, as were the kids. They loved watching the progress of the plant....the excitement when they could see the yellow petals emerging!!

So when some of my sunflowers died, I decided to keep the seeds.  I chopped off the heads of the flower and painstakingly removed each seed and popped them in an envelope.  I have easily about 600 seeds!! Seriously, no kidding!  And I still have a couple left in the garden to de-seed!!

I'm going to plant these in the spring in little pots and when the seedlings start to emerge I'm going to transplant them outside and with any luck I'll have 600 sunflowers!! LOL! I'll be delighted if I even have one:)




I also kept the seeds from our Halloween pumpkin this year! A friend of mine kept hers last year (from just one pumpkin), sowed them and they yielded about 8 pumpkins!! Going to give it a try!!

1 comment: